Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare / Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Thursday, January 24, 2008

book distribution 2007

It was July 2007 or may be June my memory escapes me. I walked into a secured apartment building armed with Srila Prabhupada books. My mission was to distribute as many books as possible. I am no where close to being a professional book-distributor. I distribute whenever I muster the enthusiasm, energy and the courage to do so.

Anyways, on that day I did have the energy and I walked in to an apartment building. I knocked on several doors and got a warm response from many students as I live in a college town. While I thought I was done for the day, I thought I will knock on the last door and then call it quits. I walked up to the door and I saw a US Marine logo sticker on the main door. This raised my curiosity and also my doubts. I was thinking should I knock especially if there is a Marine in this house…as I was not sure how he or she would react. But since I went all the way up to his door, I decided to knock. However, by the time I reached his house, I ran out of most of the books I carried with me. But I had some small books.

So I knocked and a Marine soldier in army clothes and shaved head opened the door. He looked tired but had a cake piece in his hand. I showed him a book. I asked him if he was a Marine. He replied yes and said that he just returned from Iraq. His time in Iraq was difficult especially with the firing and bombs. I asked if he wanted any of the books I had with me.

He looked at the books and quizzically asked me a question. He said “I know there is one more book I have been looking for, do you have that book?” I probed in further and figured he was talking about Bhagavad Gita As it is. I said I just ran out of that book but I have it in my house?

The Marine thrusted a 10 dollar bill in my hand and said “go and bring the back, I will wait right here” I ran to my house which was very close and gave him the book. He invited me into his house and the first thing I saw was a Japanese Samurai sword elegantly placed on a sword holder. He started to talk about his interest in philosophy and his penchant of going to the Himalayas. He talked about his father and his interests. I opened the Gita and explained how this book is as much relevant in the city as in the Himalayas and is the way to higher spiritual realms. He was keenly taking interest in the book and the pictures. He said he will read it when he finds time.

I gave him my email and said goodbye. I was happy to have interacted with him. Although he had more interests in yoga and traveling to the Himalayas, he showed interest in the philosophy as well.

I am amazed how people are so interested in Srila Prabhupada books!

Srila Prabhupada ki jaya!

Hare Krishna

No comments: