Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare / Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Monday, April 21, 2008

my trip with a taxi driver

Last week, I was in Chattanooga city (state of Tennessee) for a conference. Chattanooga is approximately 850 miles south east from where I live (Ames, IA). The conference went ok with the usual stuff. What made the trip interesting was I got the opportunity to do some service.

I learnt from a taxi driver that Tennessee is part of the “Bible belt” in the US. The term “Bible belt” means Evangelical Protestantism (socially conservative) as being a dominant part of the culture. In plain terms, this area is where Christians are very dominant. Therefore, I could not find anything “vegetarian” to eat. A vegan restaurant very close to my conference center saved my trip. People in this part of the world like their cows so much that it ends up in their dinner plate more times than one…that’s right, the main food here is beef and beef products. Pretty depressing especially if one wants to eat alternative food. But the vegan restaurant really came to my rescue (although the soy based food upset my stomach and I still feel uncomfortable).

It was Ekadasi day and my trip was scheduled on that day. I fasted and travelled to Chattanooga for my conference. On the trip, I tried to engage my senses in Krishna’s pastimes and holy names. I cranked my mp3 player on and listened to the lecture and the kirtan. I took my Bhagavad Gita with me and managed to read a few slokas. I also chanted along the way. I tried as much as possible to absorb in Krishna so I do not feel the fatigue of the travel and fast. To my amazement, at the end of the day, around 10.00 pm Chattanooga time, I was alive (fortunately), and brisk at the same time. I could see my fellow passengers weary and tired.

Anyways, I headed out the airport for a taxi on my way to the hotel where my conference was to be held. The taxi driver was an African American male in his middle age and with his thick African American southern accent tried to strike a conversation with me. I could barely understand his accent and English but some how I managed. One time, he asked me “business or pleasure”…and I responded with silence. I could not understand his English. After about 1 min of awkward pause, I realized he was asking if I was in Chattanooga for business or for pleasure. We continued with our conversation and as I was immersed the whole day in hearing about Krishna, all that was in mind were topics about Krishna. So I asked him…is there a “Hare Krishna” temple in the hope that he would repeat the word “Hare Krishna”. To my amazement, the only word he understood was temple. I didn’t know if I wanted to continue the conversation. But somehow Krishna inspired me to talk more.

So I took this opportunity to probe his ignorance. I went like “how can you not know Hare Krishna….?” And I insinuated like Hare Krishna is a household word. I saw that he was feeling a little uncomfortable so I just plainly asked him if he has ever heard the Hare Krishna mantra before. He said “no” and I told the maha-mantra to him. I also told him that this mantra can solve all problems of life (social, economical and spiritual). He felt so happy to hear that he was eager to know the mantra and memorize it. He started to learn the mantra and repeated it a few times to get the pronunciation correct.

I, further, explained the meaning of the mantra and what Krishna and Rama means and who Krishna is and so forth. To my surprise, he was very eager to hear more. I stressed that he should chant the mantra at least 5 mins everyday and give it to his son and wife and his relatives. I stressed that chanting can solve all problems of life and will give us happiness.

I reached my destination and his enthusiasm peeked that he wanted to know the mantra by heart and hence requested me to write down the mantra. I wrote down the mantra for him and stressed that he has to chant everyday to solve all his problems. He was so grateful for my gesture that he was profusely thanking me for my kindness. He felt so grateful that he offered the return journey to the airport for free. I was happy because Krishna used me to help this sincere soul and that it was Ekadasi day that he started his chanting.

After three days, on my way back, I further explained the significance of the Holy name. I reached the airport and requested his address so I can send a book. He happily gave his home address and said he will be happy to read Srila Prabhupada book. I gave him my Krishna picture with the mantra on it as a souvenir and asked him to keep it at all times in his wallet as it can protect him from the dangers of this world.

He was happy and offered a free ride but I paid him anyways and promised to mail him the book. We parted and went our ways.

Krishna has his plans for saving sincere souls. From my conversations with him, I could see he was appreciative of Krishna and sincere in his approach towards God and for him God played a role in his life. I hope he continues to chant.

Hare Krishna

1 comment:

AKD said...

HAre Krishna Prabhu!!

This is great... keep it going and sweep your place with KC... that should be ur life & goal!!! As you experienced, Krishna will support you...

All Glories to your service and enthusiasm to pls HDG!!

Hope you are doing well!

Gouranga!!!