Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare / Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Friday, January 5, 2018

Expected vs Actual result

When I read the Karma yoga part of the Bhagavad Gita initially I understood that we should not be attached to our results or outcomes of our work. However, somewhere I had a feeling this is not practical at all. How can one not be attached to the result? When we begin our work we work towards our goal or result. We meditate very much on trying to do a good job so we can achieve what we set out in the beginning so naturally the result or the goal is very much in our minds. How then can we be not attached to what we originally set out for? As I meditated more and inquired, in my head I split the results into two - "expected result" and "actual result".

When I set out to work, I have a work plan and expectations as a result of the plan. I work hard to fulfill that work plan/expectations with the desire to achieve the result. So this expected result should always be in my radar otherwise I can slack or go astray. In fact this is necessary in this competitive world. But not everything in the real world is in my control. This is also common sense. Actually it is detrimental to my work to think I can control everything. In Bhagavad Gita, Krishna says that He is the Supreme controller of everyone and everything which means He alone controls the final outcome. Therefore it is sensible to not be attached to the actual result but work towards my expected result.

Therefore when Krishna says do not be attached to the result, I take it to be the actual result - the final outcome. So even if the actual result equals my expected result, still I will not be passionate about it knowing very well that not everything is done by me!

Expected Result = per my work plan
Actual Result = my work + extraneous real world variables that is beyond my control

Hare Krishna

No comments: