Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare / Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Monday, April 16, 2012

Our business is to carry out the order, not to look for success

I feel in ISKCON today devotees are more and more looking for success to be recognized by their peers and management. This has been some experience of mine. Below is a nice piece by Prabhupada on the mood of how to carry out business.

Prabhupada described how this idea could be imbibed by a preacher. "We shall try to do our duty to our spiritual master. And even if we are not successful, it does not matter. Krsna will recognize that we are laboring hard for Him. Then it will be noted down by Him. Whether one man is converted or not converted, that is not our business. Rather, our business is to be recognized by Krsna. You have to do your duty. Go and preach. Just like when I came to your country, I never expected any success because I knew as soon as I will say 'no illicit sex, no meat eating', they will reject me immediately." The devotees huddled close as Prabhupada's voice took on a soft, humble tone. "So I was not hopeful at all. But it was your kindness that you accepted me. But I never expected that 'these people will accept'. I never expected. My spiritual master was publishing one paper, Nadiya Prakash. It was worth one or two paisa. And if a brahmacari sold even a few copies he was very glad. The collection was not even four annas, still he was so glad and he would appreciate, 'Oh, you have distributed so much'. Still, our business is to carry out the order, not to look for success."

- Srila Prabhupada
From "The Great Transcendental Adventure" by HG Kurma Prabhu

No comments: