Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare / Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Thursday, May 3, 2018

somehow or other

I am not very advanced in terms of preaching but I have seen many others preach successfully. Of course, my main inspiration as always is His Divine Grace. If I have to take one fundamental value of preaching from Srila Prabhupada, it is this;

yena tena prakarena manah krsna nivesayet
sarve vidhi-nisedha syur etayor eva kinkarah

An acarya should devise a means by which people may somehow or other come to Krsna consciousness. All rules and regulations are subordinate to this principle.- BRS.1.2.4

To me, this is the founding principal upon which Prabhupada built his preaching ideas. To me this is the broadest definition (somehow or other inspire others to Krishna). Because it is so broad, no one idea or method can be delineated as gold standard. According to time and circumstances, this principal can be applied differently (albeit within the legal laws of the land).

I recall one conversation Srila Prabhupada had with his disciples in a car on his way to New Vrindavan farm where he said that he did not impose any rules in the beginning when people used to visit his storefront temple. Prabhupada then quoted the verse above and said that somehow or other he wanted the people who visited to take to Krishna. He said rules he introduced later once they had some attachment to him. I cannot recall the source but I think this is in one of Hari Sauri prabhu’s dairies.

In fact, in a lecture in December 1966 in New York (pretty much the beginning of ISKCON), Srila Prabhupada himself confirms the statement above. You can read the lecture transcript here.

This is my 2 cents on the technique to preach and I try this whenever I get chance!

Hare Krishna.

No comments: