Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare / Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Monday, March 31, 2008

spiritual life is about giving

Spiritual life is about giving. I never saw spiritual life in this way. I always meditate on my own performance and self but never think how much I can give and am willing to offer myself unconditionally.

I am starting to realize that to give without questioning takes a big heart. This person in the video talks about how even a burning candle gives without asking. Srila Prabhupada once said that a zero has no value but when it stands next to a one, it has some value. Similarly as jivatmas (zero) we have no value but when we serve the Supreme Lord (one) in devotion, our existence has meaning just as a zero next to a one. What is this service we talk about…it is about giving oneself for the betterment of others. Srila Prabhupada, hence, said “know good, then do good”.

Yes…hospitals, schools and other amenities are good but what is that eternal good we can ever do for someone - that is offering them the knowledge about God and engaging them in the service of God thus relieving them of all suffering and pain . That is the highest welfare we can ever do for someone and for that we have to be ready to give and expect none in return.

This video (10 mins) reflects my sentiment and I am amazed how close he represents Srila Prabhupada’s teachings about Krishna Consciousness.

Hare Krishna

No comments: