Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare / Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Friday, July 4, 2008

south Indian samayal


Samayal means cooking and the other day i got inspired to cook south indian style cooking. My wife was browsing a south indian cooking blog and seeing the blog, i decided to try couple of recipes.
I made kolukattai (coconut jaggery filled dumplings), rava dosa (semolina crepe) and coconut chutney
Kolukattai is a tradtional Sout Indian sweet that is made with rice flour and coconut jaggery filling. Growing up, my mother used to make this all the time for Ganesh Chaturthi. It is a traditional sweet that fills the tummy. I remember i used to stuff myself with just this sweet to my stomach's full. It is very easy to make.
Rava doasa (semolina crepe) is another traditional south Indian dish that is popular among the tamil speaking masses. Although i am not a big fan of Rava dosa, on the request of my wife, i made this dish. Rava in english is semolina/farina. The semolina really gives the crispiness to the dosa and it gives a tasty combination with different chutneys. I made coconut chutney as a side.
Folks...if you want to taste a traditional south Indian style dish....it cannot get more traditional than this.
For the Rava dosa recipe, please visit the link - http://theyumblog.wordpress.com/2007/08/06/rava-dosa/
There are many more recipes in the link, you can try them as well.
Hare Krishna

No comments: