For Krishna, on His appearance day on wednesday, I made two-tiered carob cake with carob vienna icing. The recipe was taken from Great Vegetarian Dishes book written by Kurma Dasa (a disicple of Srila Prabhupada).
Below is the recipe
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Baking Time: 30 mins
Yield: 1 two-tiered 20 cm (8-inch) carob fudge cake
125 g(4 ounces) butter, room temperature
1 cup (250 ml) caster sugar (i used regular sugar)
1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla essence
1 cup (250 ml) carob powder
1/2 cup (125 ml) hot water
2 teaspoons (10ml) imitation chocolate essence (optional)
2 teaspoons (10ml) fresh lemon juice
1 cup (250 ml) milk
13/4 (435 ml) plain flour (all-purpose flour)
1 teaspoon (5ml) baking powder
1 teaspoon (5ml) bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
Carob Vienna icing
1. Cream the butter , sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Blend the carob powder in the hot water, add the imitation chocolate essence, and mix to a smooth paste. Gradually add the carob powder to the butter and sugar mixture.
2. Add the lemon juice to the milk to sour it.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt and add it to the creamed mixture alternately with sour milk. Mix thoroughly.
4.Spoon the cake mixture into two buttered 20 cm (8-inch) cake tins and bake in a moderate oven (180 deg C/355 deg F) for 30 mins or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
5. Allow the cakes to cool in their tins for 10 mins. Turn out and allow to cool completely. Fill and ice with Carob Vienna Icing
Carob Vienna Icing
125 g (4 ounces) butter
21/2 cups (625 ml) icing sugar (confectionery sugar)
4 tablespoons (80ml) carob powder
2 tablespoons (40ml) hot water
1 teaspoon (5ml) imitation chocolate essence (optional)
1. Beat the butter until creamy. Sift eh sugar. Blend the carob powder with the hot water and chocolate essence. Add the icing sugar to the butter alternately with the carob mixture until it reaches a spreading consistency. It should not be too thin or thick.
Alternative: Spread the center with jam and whipped cream. I used strawberry fruit spread instead of jam and came out well. Cover and ice as above.